Thursday 15 November 2012

Knit

 
When starting knit I was anxious. I had never used a knitting machine before and did not know what to expect.
On learning how to use the domestic knitting machines, I was excited to start to translate my ideas and research into the knit. I first decided that the colours on my Weave did not translate the colours on my mood board very well, therefore I began to search for yarns that I thought would suit my colour scheme and what would make my knit sample come alive.
 
The first process was to learn all the knit techniques, I learnt, plain knit, cast on/off, ladders, lace holes, partial knit, hook up and how to use the punch cards.
after reflecting on these techniques I have decided to use the plain knit, partial knit and hook up techniques as I feel they best reflect the shapes and forms in my research.
 
I can now begin to mix my chosen techniques and colours together.
 
 
 
In this sample I have used the partial knit and hook-up effects, using the browns and green as a base I added whispers of bright colours (to the right proportions on my yarn wrap), I think the techniques create a interesting textured surface and the bright colours lift the dark colours up. On reflection I would add more hook-ups and slightly more bright colours.
 
 
This sample is made of the hook-up and partial knit techniques. i have used a large variation of thick and fine yarns. Looking at this sample know, i feel that it needs more bright colours, maybe some pink? and the lighter green, as if the yellow wasn't there, the sample would look dull and have a muddy effect.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment