Thursday 3 January 2013



DATA DEVELOPMENT RESEARCH
 
When researching 'DATA' I began to think about 'DNA' and types of DNA. I soon came across a book named 'plant life by Roland Ennos & Elizabeth Sheffield, which had diagrams & pictures of 'Plant DNA'. I found these diagrams interesting as they reminded me of black fine liner drawings - I saw this as an opportunity to develop the shapes and forms further through my own drawings.


pages from 'plant life'

I develop various drawings from these pages using mix media including Indian ink, water colour, charcoal, graphite, pencil, Biro & mascara.

I first started to work with Indian ink & stick, i found the stick to be effective as it gave a variety of marks - a sense of uneven surface which worked well with the drawings in the book. 

The drawings below are both taken from cell drawings in the book.




I then developed my drawing further using an old mascara.



 

I liked the quality of line that the mascara produced and think that it captured the texture in the photographs in the book 'plant life'. I also think that the water colour worked well and gave it some shading.

Over the Christmas period i have created various studies from the book 'plant life' in a range of media. i know intend to take my own photograph of plant cells etc. and develop a colour palette. 

Examples of drawings.

oil pastels - black, greys & whites (grey scale) gave interesting tones.

working on newspaper, coffee stained background a study in Indian ink and white acrylic paint.























No comments:

Post a Comment