Thursday 16 May 2013

PE TASK 2


My first year of university is one I have thoroughly enjoyed. I have gained skills and expanded and develop those skills I came with.

I have particularly enjoyed learning to use the knitting machines and the looms, this is an area I did not have much information about and I feel I have gained skills as well as a passion for construct. Especially in the area of knit, as you see in the picture to the right I feel that I have the basic skills for knit, but I would like to develop further. I feel that this is something that I would like to learn more about in my 2nd year.


I also feel that I have developed my drawing and development skills, for example, I have learnt that drawing is research and is not just something drawn using a pencil and paper it can be anything from photographs to objects. In terms of development and research I feel this has improved over the year as I have received feedback from tutors on each project I have tried to take this on board and strive to make it better.

One thing I have disliked about this year is that there isn’t a large time scale compared to what I’m used to. But I know that I need to amend myself and work on my time management and be more organised.

Thinking and looking into Art & Design I have found that I love the creativity that surrounds it, the thought of taking an object and thinking about what creativity and whose creative mind created it. Contextualising practice: Historical & cultural has helped me explore and think more about what is my practice and what I think art & design is – made me think about my practice from an angle I have never seen it and never thought about before I came to university.

Looking at artist ‘Sheila Hicks’ who I personally am very inspired by and aspire to be as great as, it makes me think about how I could bring my practice forward. Sheila Hicks is a freelance artist who take’s commissions from people, galleries etc. and creates beautiful pieces on a large scale, but thinking about this, how can I bring my practice forward, could I do this? What do I want to do when I leave university? This is something that will take a lot of thought throughout my remainder of the 2 years.

I have found writing a blog also helpful to reflect on my work, it has helped me to think about what I can improve on my work and what I excel at so when the next project comes up I know my strengths and weakness’ to my advantage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment