Tuesday 30 October 2012

Weave


When starting weave I was eager to pour all of my drawings and research so far into it. I had to consider my choice of yarns, the colour of my yarns,what I would introduce through my weft, and what patterns I would use.
The first step was creating my warp, I used fine cottons in 4 different colours, repeated to create a 'stripey' warp. this idea sprouted from tree 'finelner' drawings, as the use of varied fineline's were a nice underlying effect.
For the weft, i varied yarns, from very fine cottons to thick wools, this gave a changing/varying effect which i could see in my research (drawings/photographs).
I started to work with the colours on my warp, but looking back I find that the colours do not work, for instance, the purple is to bold/strong next to the other colours.


At the start of my weave I experimented with varying the yarns to see what effect it would give, I found that the yarn and pattern changed to often, as you can't see the detailed pattern I used.



 I then started to look at different weave patterns that I could relate to. I came across the 'crater' pattern (as seen above) and found that the shapes and forms within the pattern were alike those in my drawings, with this in mind, I made the pattern using a green shetland wool. although this worked I felt a need to develop it further along, maybe vary the colours? vary yarns? I then proceeded to make the weave below.





 
Using the crater pattern I tried to blend colours together, to create a tonal effect, I feel it created its own drawing within the weave.

 
Although this is just a 'plain weave' I feel that it was of the most interesting pieces of weave that I have woven. as my warp is so detailed and interesting, with a thick brown woollen yarn I wove through, giving it a textured surface.
 
 
I feel that i have translated all my ideas, inspirations and research into my weave and will continue to do so throughout the rest of this unit (knit).

No comments:

Post a Comment