Friday 5 December 2014

Initial Samples

From my research I have started to experiment with techniques on the domestic knitting machine that I feel link to the shapes in my research. I also have carefully considered my yarn, I have decided to use mercerised cottons for the shiny/reflective quality, using mohair for use of blurring lines and wools in parts to add stability. On choosing my yarns I had to consider the intent of my collection. I want my collection to be an Autumn/Winter range, so the use of wools I feel was needed. I also need to consider my colour proportions, I don’t want to focus too much on the greys, therefore making my knit dull. 


In this sample I have used the hooking up technique. This created a wave in the colours therefore giving the illusion of movement. I think the colour proportions in this sample are not quite right though as the sample, particularly the black and white are look quite stripy, I think this could be resolved with adding mohair and then brushing it to merge the colours together.


In this sample I also used the hooking up technique, but used fewer colours, I find that if I added more peaches to this it would become warmer – more rich in colour giving it a better quality.


No comments:

Post a Comment